Wednesday 28 March 2012

Neither here nor there...where do I belong?

 

"We all grew up in multiple countries
and multiple worlds,
the reasons are different 
and where we grew up is completely different
but we are united by this experience."

These are just a few words of the film "Neither here nor There" produced by Eman Ryan Yamazaki. The film is all about third culture kids, growing up among worlds. A trailer can be seen above. Clips of the film will be shown at The Families in Global Transition Conference (FIGT) 2012 in Washington this Friday 30th of March. The DVD of the film is for sale.

It's a documentary that explores cultural identity for people who have grown up in places other than their home culture, known as Third Culture Kids. Through the stories of six people, the film investigates the often overlooked effects on adults who had international upbringings, their struggles to fit in and an eternal search to belong. "Neither Here Nor There," explores the ideas of cultural identity. One person says: 

"I am a confusion of cultures, uniquely me"

As you know I was a third culture kid too. I have been thinking about the trailer of the film. I can identify with the people in the film. Their story is just like mine. The following words are my thoughts on this topic.

The past I cannot change,
the future I can try to influence
the present I can make the most of
but most of all I want to accept myself, just the way I am.
I will be happy just because I'm ME.

Mix together a little of these countries: the Netherlands, Zambia, Malawi and Zimbabwe.
Stir well
Add lots of sunshine
Allow to mature
Sprinkle with some tears
Enjoy the result: ME.

What are your thoughts on this topic? 

Related posts:

4 comments:

  1. This is super awesome. I love your poem about yourself. Beautifully said! I love learning about all the different resources out there, but more specifically learning that we are not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do think it is good to know we are not alone. I like hearing and reading the stories by or about other TCKs because they resonate in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first learned of Third Culture Kids my first year of teaching overseas. It was hugely helpful for me in understanding my students.

    I shared your link with my Facebook crowd - so they can understand life overseas a bit more.

    Thanks!
    Janet | expateducator.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad teachers know what third culture kids are. I truly believe that teachers can play a very important role in the mobile lives of many kids at international schools. Have you heard of the new book "Expat Teens Talk" by Lisa Pittman and Diana Smit? It gives the expat teens a voice.
    Did you know that David Pollock one of the authors of "Third Culture Kids, growing up Among Worlds" was a teacher and a boarding home parent.
    Thanks for sharing my link. I appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete