|Photo by Anita Patterson Morgue file|
So here are my 10 disadvantages:
- Having had to move often.
- Saying "good-bye" many times. I remember my parents used to tell friends and family that they preferred everyone to say "hello" to us and welcome us back to Holland at Schiphol international airport than that they would wave us goodbye. Maybe they found saying "good-bye" difficult too?
- Being far away from family and friends. I found this great blog post by Libby Stephens Grandparenting over the seas. Some good advice, worth reading. I grew in the age before email and skype. Communicating is a lot easier these days.
- Not knowing where "home" is.
- Not knowing the geography of my passport country. I never had geography of the Netherlands. When I had geography in Zimbabwe it was mainly "African" geography.
- Not knowing certain popular TV shows, songs etc.
- Having a kind of restlessness. I need new challenges and changes. I even find it difficult spend time at home during a holiday period.
- Preferring not to change my email address or telephone number if it is not absolutely necessary. In this I prefer to keep the same email address for ever if possible.Making it easier to stay in contact with old acquaintances?
- I have some language difficulty (with Dutch), I attended international and local schools, this was all in English. We had some extra Dutch lessons but I don't feel very confident in writing Dutch.
- Not knowing all the Dutch sayings.
"Every parting is a form of death, as every reunion is a type of heaven." ~Tryon Edwards
I don't think the list of disadvantages is complete but for now it is fine like this. What disadvantages do you experience or did you experience?