I am developing an allergy to the superficial and colourful advertizing done by relocation companies and other companies sending expats abroad. You know it is true that having kids does not mean you cannot move overseas but it does mean it makes everything a lot more complicated.
- packing x 1
- homesickness x 1
- culture shock x 1
- adjusting x 1
- trouble x 1
- packing x 5
- homesickness x 5
- culture shock x 5
- adjusting x 5
- trouble x 5
|Thanks to Lisa Solonynko Morgue File|
- Try to take a look at the move from the kid's perspective.
- Take your child seriously.
- Listen to what they are saying about the move.
- Don't ignore their questions. Try to answer them honestly.
- Don't ignore their emotions. Acknowledge their feelings.
- Make a memorial box (maybe a shoebox). Together with your child put in small treasures, special objects, photos, things that bring back memories of the old home, of friends and family. Take the box with you.
- Make time for the children during and after the move. Kids need a little extra attention if possible.
|Thanks to Cohdra Morgue file|
Moving internationally with children has become easier, do think of the kids before, during and after the move. What are your ideas on moving internationally with children?