Thursday 20 October 2011

Have you heard of the magazine: Among Worlds? Especially for Adult Third Culture kids (ATCK).

I recently took an international subscription to the magazine "Among Worlds". It's a magazine to encourage and empower adult third culture kids. In June 2011 the magazine celebrated its' 10th anniversary. The magazine is a quarterly magazine is published by Interaction International.

The September 2011 issue is all about "Social Networking". I will mention a few articles so you have an impression. There's an article written by Morgan McDermott about "Far-away Family & Friends Stay Close on Skype". She's a TCK who has lived in Holland, India, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and the United Kingdom. Of all the social media options she uses skype the most. She even talks to her grandfather on skype! She uses skype to play "checkers" with her grandmother.

There are articles about facebook and TCKs, an interview with TCK Jamie Farr on TCKs and the social network revolution. In the interview there is something about the possible exhaustion that can be a result of a TCK trying to communicate with so many people from the past. While I am writing this I realize that this could be an nice topic for a future post, who knows?

There is a book review about the book "Memories of the Sun". The book is written by Jane Kurtz, it contains a wonderful selection of stories concerning her beloved Africa. Sounds interesting to me (seeing as I have some "African" roots). I must admit I have not read this book...yet. Jane was a TCK too.

I like this quote that I found in the Among Worlds Magazine:

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, What?! You Too? I thought I was the only one."  C.S.Lewis

Here's another quote from the magazine:

"I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world"
Mary Anne Radmacher Hershey

Musings of a third culture kid has written a review on this magazine, even thought it 3 years old it's still interesting to read. Review of Among Worlds Magazine.

I have only read 2 issues but I enjoyed reading the articles and I do think that the magazine is really worth reading for TCKs and ATCKs. There are helpful articles and articles that make you think.

Do you want to read more? Here are some books I have enjoyed and maybe you would too.

Have you heard of this magazine? If you have has it helped you? In what way?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'm thinking about their "Interact" magazine, for parents and educators of TCKs. I may subscribe to that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do take a subscription to the "Interact" magazine, I would love to hear what you think of it. For those who don't know it, it is also available at Interaction International.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Janneke. I am especially intrigued by the book about Africa...Sounds interesting and something we can relate to right?

    "I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world"
    Beautfifully said...so glad you shared this as it says it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Zvezdana.
    Yes some words just go to straight to the heart! That's the challenge for us as writers to find the right words.

    ReplyDelete