To discover which country is the best to raise your child in the survey looked at these 3 main factors:
- Childcare (safety of children, standard of education, quality of childcare and overall cost of raising children)
- Health and wellbeing (spending time outdoors, spending time with parents, playing sports, playing video games, watching TV, children eat less junk food now)
- Integration (settled in quicker than parents, enjoying their lives, are learning new languages, missing home and friends, social integration)
Now here are the top countries for raising children abroad according to this survey:
- The Netherlands
- Hong Kong
- United Arab Emirates
- Saudia Arabia
- United Kingdom
Australia and Canada are on the top of the list for active expat families. Not only were the children more active in sports in these 2 countries but even some of the parents became more active in sports.
The Middle East provides a more challenging climate for expat families. Social integration is one of the areas were expat parents reported that their children had most difficulty. The expat children in the Middle East spent more time watching TV and playing video games.
If you want to compare the results with last years outcome, check my post on The Top 10 Countries for Raising Children Abroad in 2011. Of course I am proud that the Netherlands is still at the top of the list on second place. I am a little surprised that France was in first place last year but that it does not feature in the top 9 countries this year. I wonder why.
What are your experiences with raising kids abroad? Do they match the results of this survey? Do you have tips for other parents? Please share it with us. Thanks.
- My 10 advantages of growing up in another culture
- My 10 disadvantages of growing up in another culture
- Cultural identity confusion and third culture kids
- Third culture kid speaking "I'm not from anywhere"
- Best country for kids: Canada Huffington Post
- Canada the best country to raise your kids: on She Knows website