This is list of the advantages of growing up as a third culture kid, as told by the children in the video.
The kids say that they:
- Are more accepting of different cultures and other people.
- Learn more new cultures and learn new languages.
- Can understand the world better if you live in different parts of the world.
- Can see more of the world and not live a boring life.
- Can move around and have experiences that most other kids don't have.
- Get to meet new people.
- Get to make many new friends.
- Have an extra level of knowledge.
- Enjoy life and do not take things for granted (they have seen poverty and seen the extremes of life).
- Have more opportunities and can get a better education.
In a future blog post I will talk about the challenges the kids mention. Here's a list of My 10 disadvantages of growing up in another culture. I have written about My 10 advantages of growing up in another culture.
If you want to know more about what children think of growing up abroad then I can recommend this interview What it's like to a third culture kid. Eleven year old Eliana explains all about being a TCK. She even has her own blog: TCKids (for Kids by a Kid).
What's your experience? What's your story? I would love to hear from you.