Here are 10 interesting facts about the Walk of the World which takes place every year in Nijmegen:
- This year there are 41 472 prticipants.
- They represent 71 nationalities. Wow!
- People can choose to walk 30, 40 or 50 kilometres every day for 4 days in a row.
- Last year the youngest participant was Menno of 11 years old.
- The eldest participant was a man from Apeldoorn of 89. I hope I can still walk as far when I reach his age!
- The people that walk 50 kilometres every day start walking very early: between 4 and 4.45am.
- Originally a military event with a few civilians, it now is a mainly civilian event.
- The military walk 40 kilometres daily.
- The weather forecast for tomorrow looks rather rainy.
- The cross on the photo is awarded to participants who successfully complete the Four Days Marches according to the regulations.
I want to wish all the participants of this international event the best of luck. I hope you are able to enjoy the Walk of the World and one day I want to participate too. Things always start with a dream or a desire.